I’ve built this kit out of the box with the exception of the schürzen armour which I felt was to thick. I replaced it with plasticard.
The build - I assembled the bulk of this kit at my weekly club meeting as it was a simple kit to build, without a large parts count and I didn’t need to take a lot of tools with me. A point to make here is that the sprues don’t have part numbers on them which can be frustrating at times and is a shame as the instructions are very good.
The tracks are the rubber band type and in this instance that’s no bad thing. They glue together without issue and fit well around the road wheels, sprockets and idlers.
There are some fit issues and i did have to do some filling and sanding during the assembly. So dry fitting is recommended. There are also some exposed ejector pin marks that will also need to be filled.
The instructions show the machine gun shield stands up on its own but this shield was held up by a latch connected to the front section of the hatch. A little bit of scratch building sorted this problem out. Alternatively you could model the shield laying down.
I added a figure to fill in the empty space.
Here are the replacement schürzen I made from plasticard. The kit parts are to thick and would spoil the overall look.
So this kit has some issues but can still be built up into a nice looking StuG IV. Next it will be onto paint which will be covered in my airbrushing guide.